The island stands in the heart of Weihai Bay, which is in the most east of Shandong peninsula. It covers an area of 3.15 square kilometers with 2.1 nautical miles away from the urban tourism wharf and with 20 minutes’ travel by boat.
To the east of the Island lies a boundless expanse of blue sea, where mists and waves stretch far into the distance. The west of the Island faces the city across the sea. There stand numerous cliffs in the north, which are quite suitable for fishing. There is a long slope stretching gently in the south, which is a natural bathing beach.
The island is covered all over by vegetation with the forest coverage rate of 87%, for which it is known as the Sacred Mountains on the sea and land of idyllic beauty. It is the first national forest park on the sea, a famous national 5 A-level scenic spots and national patriotism education base.
It was told that the royal family of Liu moved to the island to avoid persecution during late years of the East Han Dynasty(25-220). They rescued and helped many survivors on the sea, for which people on the island set a temple to commemorate Liu and his mother. The temple is called Liugong Temple with Liu and his mother’s statue in it. It has almost become a tradition for ships from different areas to come to the temple and pray for safety. Liugong Island have become well-known since then.
By the end of the 19th century, the Qing dynasty established the the Beiyang Navy, whose prefect department was located on the island. In the 20th year of Guangxu period of Qing Dynasty (the year of 1894), the Sino-Japanese war (1894-1895) broke out, during which Beiyang Navy got completely annihilated. Liugong Island has been forcefully leased to British for 42 years since then, and became a holiday resort of Far East Fleet of British Royal Navy. By now the island still preserves the remains of that period, among which many European-style architectures stand in the greenery.
Sino-Japanese War (1894-1895) Museum
The museum is mainly about the history of Beiyang Navy and the Sino-Japanese War (1894-1895). The museum is located in the prefect department of Beiyang Navy and its affiliated architectures. The museum manages and protects north and south bank of Weihai Bay and 28 relics of Beiyang Navy and of the Sino-Japanese War (1894-1895).
Dragon King Temple（Longwang Miao)
The temple is located 100 meters west of the prefect bureau to Beiyang Navy. It was built in the Qing dynasty and rebuilt in the period of Beiyang Navy(1912-1927). The temple covers an area of nearly 1700 square meters and it used to be a cultural activity center of Liugong Island.
Qidingshan Fortress is set on the top of Qishan Mountain with a 153.5 meter-high altitude. It was designed by German architect Hannacken. The structure is delicate and well-functioning.
In LiuGong Island Defensive Battle, the Qing forces stationed in the fortress closely coordinated with the allies to fight against and eventually have smashed the Japanese army. It only takes 12 minutes get to the fortress by a 720 meter-long cableway. People can enjoy the beauty of the sea and mountains from the top.
The adjacent buildings of Beiyang Navy was steel-forged and could accommodate 10000-ton freighters by then. At present, it still is of great use to the navy.
Beiyang Navy Prefects Bureau
The prefects bureau is also called Shuishi Yamen(Navy Yamen) and the command structure of the first normalized modern navy of China. It is located in the west of Liugong Island with an area of 1.7 hectares, which is the national well-preserved military government now.
There are 39 first-class culture relics of modern times, including Jiyuan bower-anchor, high pressure steam tank, boat davit, cannon shock absorber, etc.
Jiyuan warship has double main guns, each of which was manufactured by Germany Krupp Company and weighs 20 tons. It is so far the largest outlet-diameter cannon and is identified as the national first-class cultural relics, which has been reputed as treasure of the bureau.
Liugong Island Expo Park
The park covers an area of 5 hectares. It is divided into five areas with 19 exhibition halls, which covers the history and present of Liugong Island, thus honored as encyclopedia of Liugong Island.
Haishen Temple (Temple of Sea God)
The mural inside temple is built with carefully selected 30 tons of natural colored jade and carved by a famous carving artist from south China. The mural displays how Liu Min, the prince of Han Dynasty, drifted through hardship to Liugong Island, sheltered and succored the nearby fishermen.
It was formerly built in the Tang Dynasty and damaged in the war. The rehabilitated one is divided into Chunfu hall, Xialu hall, Qiushou hall, Dongxi hall with total four floors and 30 meters high, which is the highest point of the Expo Park.
The Sea altar has the same function of Altar of Heaven and Alatar of Earth. It is the only sacred altar for sea rituals in China with great momentum, which is the symbol of the Expo Park.
Weihai History Museum of British Leased Period
It covers an area of 1,290 square meters and reproduces major historical scenes by exhibiting wax statues and sculptures, which vividly recurs the particular history of national humiliation.
Whale Exhibition Hall
It covers an area of 1,600 square meters and accommodates the skin, bone structure and vitals specimen of the largest cachalot of the world, which is 19.6 meter-long and 50.1ton-weight.
The hall showcases the introduction of cachalot and other whales by the means of simulating marine ecological environment, exhibiting the specimen and other modern techniques of photos, notice board and multimedia. It is a science exhibition hall with entity presence. Sea Battle Exhibition Hall of Sino-Japanese War (1894-1895)
It covers an area of 2,460 square meters with a shape of giant cabin of a warship, which vividly displays the vicissitudes and the bravery of Beiyang Navy. Standing in front of a big screen which is 18 meter-long and 5 meter-tall, tourists would feel like putting themselves in a battlefield of sea war while watching the history film: Heroism of Beiyang Navy.
Liugong Isaland National Forest
It is honored as the first sea park by State Forestry Administration. It covers an area of 266.7 hectares with about 19 tree species, over 80 types of trees, more than 50 kinds of wild flowers & seeds and over 50 kinds of birds. Trees here are mostly black pines. Tourists can find dozens of wild animals like sika dears living in the woods.
there are several noteworthy scenic spots, including Zhonghun Monument of Beiyang Navy, Panda Pavilion, Sika Deer & Formosan Serow Pavilion, Elk House and other sites, such as Wuse Stone (Five-Color Stone), Banjiang Rock, Tingtao Cilff and Beicaozui.
Exhibition Hall of Sino-Japanese War (1894-1895) Museum
The entire construction covers an area of 1.4 hectares. The main building which symbolizes the warship of Beiyang Navy integrates into the upright statue of general of Beiyang Navy. It is one of the landmarks of Weihai city.
The exhibition hall thoroughly illustrates history of Sina-Japanese War (1894-1895) by the means of relics, photos, statues and multimedia.
Zhonghun Monument of Beiyang Navy
It is on the mountain top, which is right behind the perfects bureau of Beiyang Navy. It was built to commemorate the 100 years anniversary of Beiyang Navy, and to console the martyrs in the war.
The white hexagonal monument is 28.5 meters high, with seven golden Chinese characters on it meaning Monument of Beiyang Navy.
Both sides of the bottom of the monument are embossments which shows the scene of Beiyang soldiers fight bravely and dauntlessly in the battle.
The monument is like a sword stabbing into the blue sky, which symbolizes the unyielding spirit of Chinese people struggling against foreign aggression.
Nine-Hole Golf Course of British Leased Period
It is the first golf course of China, which was built in the 28th year of Guangxu period during Qing Dynasty (the year of 1902). It used to be very popular, and now is rebuilt in the original site.
A golf museum was set up, displaying the origin, development and history of the golf.